CHEF Jill Sandique is one of the Filipino chefs that I truly admire and look up to. She’s not only a great pastry chef and an equally good cook. She’s also a damned good teacher who understands the science behind each dish, especially when it comes to pastry, and can explain it to you on the spot when you ask her. So, when I’m baking at home and something goes wrong, I text only two people – Chef Jill and/or Chef Junjun de Guzman – to ask why my cake didn’t rise or why my cupcake turned out to be so dense.
Chef Jill is so good at her craft that I rejoiced when I got her to be a columnist of FLAVORS Magazine and I make it a point to attend her cooking demonstrations. So I was pleasantly surprised when I attended the launch of Glad Non-stick Aluminum Foil at the Arcadia Clubhouse in Ortigas Center, Pasig, Tuesday last week (October 1, 2013), and she turned up at the venue because she was going to conduct a cooking demo for Glad. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Chef Jill prepared two dishes using the new Glad Non-stick Aluminum Foil – Baked Chicken with Basil, Cheese and Tomatoes and Grilled Fish with Potatoes and Chermoula Sauce.
I just had to make this second post and share with you the recipe of the Baked Chicken with Basil, Cheese and Tomatoes.
5 pcs. chicken breast fillets, preferably skinless
lemon juice as needed
paprika to taste
salt and pepper to taste
2 egg whites
1 to 1-1/) cups breadcrumbs*
3/4 cup tomato sauce
10 pcs. fresh basil leaves
shredded Cheddar cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese
grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line an aluminum tray with Glad Non-stick Aluminum Foil. Set aside.
2. Season chicken breast fillets with lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper. Dip in beaten egg whites, then coat with breadcrumbs (*can be substituted with crushed cornflakes).
3. Line a baking tray with Glad Non-stick Aluminum Foil and arrange breaded chicken breast fillets on it. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove from oven. Top breaded chicken with tomato sauce, then layer with fresh basil leaves and cheese, in that order.
5. Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
6. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately.