Originally posted on August 24, 2012
HOMEMAKERS are in constant search of new recipes and meal ideas for their respective families. Kids get bored when they’re served the same dishes all the time, and when they lose their appetite, they put their health and nutrition in peril. So, moms are always looking for new things to serve for breakfast and to pack for baon.
SM Master Chefs 2012, which was launched last week at SM Hypermarket-Cubao, therefore comes in very handy, as it offers exciting new recipes as well as fun ways to serve familiar food items. A series of cooking demonstrations conducted by master chefs of sponsoring food brands, the SM Master Chefs series began last year and was such a big success that SM Hypermarket management decided to bring it back this year so shoppers can pick up a whole new set of recipes and exciting meal ideas. This year’s sponsoring brands are Bounty Fresh Chicken, CDO Ulam Burger, Nestlé All Purpose Cream, San Miguel Fresh Milk and Unilever Food Solutions’ Knorr Sinigang sa Sampalok. Each sponsoring brand features its own master chefs — Chef Arnold Bernardo for Bounty Fresh Chicken, Chef Menoy Gimenez for CDO, Chef Tess Sutilo for Nestlé, Chef RJ Garcia for San Miguel, and Chef Paulo Sia for Unilever and Knorr — who will be making the rounds of all 34 branches of SM Hypermarket every week for the next three months to conduct cooking demonstrations and make a delectable shopping experience open to SM Hypermarket shoppers.
To provide a preview of what is to come, the five featured chefs did simultaneous 15-minute cooking demos during the grand launch held at SM Hypermarket-Cubao. Chef Arnold whipped up Chicken in Red Curry and Pineapple and Rice Noodle Stir-fry (Thai Style); Chef Menoy prepared huge Red Velvet Ciabatta Sandwiches for everyone to enjoy; Chef Tess opted to go healthy with her Creamy Munggo Guisado and Sigarillas at Papaya Gising-Gising; Chef RJ made Roti Dog 3 Ways and Croque Madame; while Chef Paulo went fast and flambéed with his Toss and Wrap.
The schedule of the rest of the SM Master Chefs 2012 cooking demos is as follows:
• Aug. 28 – Marilao / Lopez / Bicutan / Cubao
• Aug. 30 – Baliwag / ESR / Muntinlupa / Eton / Jmall
• Sept. 4 – Clark / Pasig / Molino / Novaliches / Iloilo
• Sept. 6 – Pampanga / Taytay / Marketmall / Valenzuela
• Sept. 11 – Rosales / North EDSA / Imus / Harbour
• Sept. 13 – Fairview / Monumento / Las Piñas 1 / Makati
• Sept. 18 – Marilao / Mall of Asia / AZR / Adriatico
• Sept. 20 – Baliwag / Sucat 1 / Bicutan / Mandaluyong / Batangas
• Sept. 25 – Clark / Lopez / Muntinlupa / Cubao / Cebu
• Sept. 27 – Pampanga / ESR / Molino / Eton
• Oct. 2 – Pasig / Marketmall / Novaliches / Jmall
• Oct. 4 – Monumento / Taytay / Imus / Valenzuela
• Oct. 9 – Pasig / North EDSA / Makati / Harbour / Iloilo
Along with the launch of SM Master Chefs 2012 comes the SM Master Chefs Recipe Contest, which is open to all shoppers and will be staged in 33 SM Hypermarket branches nationwide. Contestants need only to submit a dish they have whipped up using products of sponsors on a specified date, complete with P1,000 worth of single or accumulated receipts (proofs of purchase of groceries) inclusive of any of the featured products using an SM Advantage Card.
Main ingredients to be used in creating master recipes are as follows:
– Unilever’s Knorr Sinigang sa Sampalok in a SOUP dish
– San Miguel’s Magnolia Fresh Milk in a PASTA dish
– Nestlé’s All Purpose Cream in a NO-BAKE DESSERT
– Bounty Fresh Chicken
– CDO’s Ulam Burger in a LUNCH MEAL
Cooking challenges will be scheduled in each SM Hypermarket branch, where contestants must bring their cooked dish depending on the designated master brand and master ingredient on the specified date.
The schedule of the cooking challenges is as follows:
• Oct. 16 – Rosales / MOA / Sucat / Adriatico / Batangas
• Oct. 18 – Fairview / Sucat 1 / AZR / Mandaluyong / Cebu
• Oct. 23 – Marilao / Lopez / Bicutan / Cubao
• Oct. 25 – Baliwag / ESR / Muntinlupa / Eton / Jmall
• Oct. 30 – Clark / Pasig / Molino / Novaliches / Iloilo
• Nov. 6 – Pampanga / Taytay / Marketmall / Valenzuela
• Nov. 8 – Monumento / North EDSA / Las Piñas / Imus / N. Harbour
Each store will have one winner, who will take home P10,000 worth of SM gift certificates and whose recipes will be featured in magazines and the sponsoring brands’ recipe books and collaterals.
A third component to the grand launch of SM Master Chefs 2012 is the Free Carinderia Makeover as SM Hypermarket’s way of saying thank-you to the main patrons of its food service business. Owners of food businesses, such as carinderias and catering services, who buy their ingredients and other essentials in big packs or bulk at SM Hypermarket now get a chance to own a brand-new kitchen and dining area furnished by SM Hypermarket. A minimum P500 worth of groceries inclusive of two sponsoring brands’ products or a fully stampled loyalty card can pave the way to a carinderia makeover if submitted with a registration form, three photos of the carinderia, and a 50-word answer to the question Why does my carinderia deserve a free makeover?.
There will be five lucky winners, who will be notified via registered mail and phone, and whose carinderia makeovers will be designed by an interior designer.