EVEN when he was at the height of his career as a singer, concert artist, TV host and actor, Gary Valenciano never clogged the boob tube and the print media with his product endorsements. He could, if he wanted to, but he did not want to. What he wanted was to maintain his credibility, to endorse only products that he believed in and personally used. He owed this much to the public, to whom he attributed his success aside from God, and he gave them exactly that. Nothing less.
Armed with pure talent and an inspiring personality, Gary V, also known as Mr. Pure Energy, continues to make that a policy. So when he recently began endorsing Novuhair, a topical scalp lotion that addresses hair loss and scalp problems, many were surprised. Did he really need it? Did he ever have problems with his hair? He seemed to always have a healthy head of hair…
The answer is yes.
“Being in an industry where looks matter, hair loss scared me for a while. All performers get a lot of hairstyling done, and that can take a toll on your hair. A few years ago, it became alarming when I noticed that I was losing a lot of hair. When I showed it to Angeli, she would say it was okay, but I knew she was getting alarmed, too. Even my own hairstylist was dropping hints about it. That’s why I was happy that Novuhair came into my life. To think that at first, I thought it was just one of those products, but when I started using it, the hair loss stopped. It does not only address the problem of hair loss, but it also helps keep your hair healthy and strong,” relates Gary, during the launch of Novuhair’s enhanced formulation held at Maria Luisa’s Garden Room, Makati Garden Club, recently.
He adds: “I only endorse products that I personally use.”
Met by Sheila Mae Velilla, chief executive officer of Nutramedica, which is the developer and distributor of Novuhair, who thanked him for his powerful testimony, Gary says, “I only told them the truth. I only shared my personal experience.”
Delivering on its promise to be “Nature’s Answer to Hair Loss,” Novuhair was a revolutionary topical scalp lotion launched in the last quarter of 2009 and was endorsed by a credible hairstylist, Fanny Serrano, back then. People took even more notice when Abby Asistio, who has suffered from Alopecia since childhood, grew a good head of hair when she started using the product and came out in the open once again to endorse it. And then it was Gary V’s turn to endorse it.
Besides being a homegrown, proudly Philippine-made product that is globally competitive, Novuhair is Food and Drug Administration (FDA) certified and is 100% compliant to the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive (ACD). It has the highest concentration of natural ingredients. Its original formulation contained 12 natural ingredients but, now, six years after it was first launched in the market, and as a result of continuous research and development to improve the product, the enhanced formulation of the medicated topical scalp lotion boasts of 19 natural ingredients and is almost 100% natural.
THE PROBLEM OF HAIR LOSS
During the launch of Novuhair’s enhanced formulation, Dr. Edwin Bien, a wellness and integrative medicine specialist and medical director of LaBien Medical Group, spoke on the problem of hair loss and effective solutions for it.
“The early warning signs of hair loss include excessive hair shedding, hair thinning and bald patches on the scalp,” explains Dr. Bien.
- Causes of Hair Loss: Unhealthy hair habits, certain health conditions, taking certain medications, post-natal process when it comes to women, hormonal changes, poor diet, and stress.
- Solutions That People Resort To: Surgical Hair Restoration (which is a very costly and painful procedure), Laser Hair Therapy cosmetic treatment (which ranges from Php95,000 to Php716,000 or U.S.$2,000 to $15,000), Low Level Laser Therapy cosmetic treatment (a six-month laser treatment coupled with synthetic drugs costing around Php102,000 or ₤1,500), Laser Hair Loss Power Grow Comb: Laser Photo Therapy (which is too good to be true, with many fake items sold online), Instant Hair Camouflage or plant fibers (used as a temporary daily solution that can prove to be impractical during the rainy season), Lace Non-surgical Hair Replacement System (only a temporary daily solution), Oral Preparations or Tablets (which can have severe adverse effects, including breast enlargement in men and depression), and Chemical Solutions (that can trigger severe allergic reactions.
A NATURAL SOLUTION
Novuhair presents itself as a natural solution to hair loss problems.
“Nature has provided a safe and effective answer to hair loss and scalp disorders with Novuhair. Made of herbal ingredients that include moringa oleifera, panax ginseng, virgin coconut oil and the natural essences of rosemary and peppermint, Novuhair nourishes the scalp and hair by increasing the flow of nutrients and improving blood circulation to the scalp. It also helps hydrate the scalp, maintain the hair’s natural luster and prevent early hair graying, hair dryness and itching,” explains Velilla.
Novuhair’s new enhanced formulation contains 19 natural ingredients. These are:
• Zingiber Officiale (Ginger)—stimulates hair bulbs that enhance blood circulation
• Moringa Oleifera (Horse Radish Leaf)—promotes healthy skin and hair and prevents hair fall
• Centella Asiatica (Indian Pennywort)—counteracts free radicals and promotes hair growth
• Cocos Mamillaris (Virgin Coconut Oil)—cleanses and moisturizes the scalp and thus helps control dandruff
• Panax Ginseng (Ginseng)—nourishes the scalp
• Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry)—spurs luxurious black hair growth and prevents hair from graying
• Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera)—cleanses, conditions and promotes hair growth and exhibits anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties
• Piper Nigrum/Longum (Black Pepper)—detoxifies, disinfects, stimulates and improves blood circulation
• Biotin (Vitamin H)—reduces the occurrence of hair loss and stimulates the growth of strong hair
• Dexpanthenol (Vitamin B5)—improves skin hydration, addresses skin roughness and reduces itching and inflammation
• Distilled Water—acts as a pure and safe solvent
• Natural Ethyl Alcohol—acts as a safe preservative and solvent; does not cause irritation or allergies to the skin, as compared with regular alcohols
• Acacia Concinna (Shikakai)—cleanses the scalp, reduces hair fall, prevents dandruff and helps promote hair growth
• Cymbopogon Citratus (Lemongrass)—cleanses, disinfects and refreshes scalp pores
• Mentha Piperita (Peppermint)—slows down the growth of bacteria and fungi, refreshes the scalp and relieves itching
• Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower)—protects, nourishes, hydrates, softens, firms and conditions the hair, and promotes a healthy environment for hair growth
• Lavandula Officinalis (Lavender)—disinfects and enhances blood circulation to the scalp as well as help stimulate hair growth
• Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary)—disinfects and enhances blood circulation to the scalp and helps stimulate hair growth
• Propanediol—retains the skin’s natural moisture and acts as a humectant, which is a substance that promotes retention of moisture
A unique combination of herbal extracts, essential oils and co-factor nutrients, Novuhair’s new enhanced formulation boasts of a better natural fragrance because of the essential oils lemongrass, lavender and rosemary. The peppermint in the formulation promotes a cool, minty feel, while the shikakai helps prevent dandruff
Novuhair’s topical scalp lotion retails for Php2,800 per 200ml. bottle, which can be used for an average of two months. Awarded by Watsons Philippines as the Most Successful New Brand of the Year in 2012 and has been recognized as the leading Medicated Hair Care Brand from 2012 to 2015.
It is also available in sets of three, with the Novuhair topical scalp lotion packaged with Novuhair Herbal Shampoo and Novuhair Herbal Conditioner. The shampoo and the conditioner also contain some of the herbs and essential oils found in the topical scalp lotion, including Moringa Oleifera, Phyllanthus Emblica, Biotin, Aloe Barbadensis, Carthamus Tinctorius, Piper Nigrum, Piper Longum, Cocos Mamillaris, Panax Ginseng and Zingiber Officinale.
“We recommend spraying on the topical scalp lotion and massage it in twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Since you’re going to work in the morning, you can just use it in the morning, then shampoo and condition your hair. In the evening, when you spray it on and massage it in, leave it on when you sleep,” says Raymond Vincent Domingo, corporate sales and marketing manager of Nutramedica.
Available at Mercury Drug Store and other leading drug stores nationwide, Novuhair is going global, with the first shipment of products to the United States, specifically California, by the second quarter of this year. Nutramedica has also established a partnership with a distributor in Kuwait and is facilitating product registration in Denmark.