CALCHEESE, the newest cheese wafer that is made with real Cheddar cheese and milk, is a convenient and healthy snack to munch on when you are hungry because it is packed with Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and B12. More than this, however, it is also a great ingredient to use for dessert, such as these Calcheese Truffles, which are easy to prepare and nice to share with family and friends.
3-5 packs CalCheese Wafers (53.5 grams per pack)
200 grams softened cream cheese
170 grams white chocolate chips
candy sprinkles for topping (optional)
1. Using a food processor, crush Calcheese wafers until finely crumbed. In the absence of a food processor, manually crush the wafers by putting them in a Ziploc plastic bag and running a rolling pin over them. Set aside 1/2 cup crushed wafers for use as topping.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese and crushed wafers. Mix with a spatula or spoon until completely mixed.
3. Form into 1-inch balls. Arrange on a small baking tray or food container and place in freezer for at least 1 hour.
4. Place white chocolate chips in a small heatproof bowl and melt in a double boiler (*bowl over a saucepan filled with boiling water) over low heat. The water in the saucepan should be at least 1-1/2 inches below the bowl so the water does not make it into the bowl. Let the water boil first, then turn off heat, and stir the chocolate chips in the bowl above the saucepan. Constantly stir until chocolate melts completely. Set aside for 10 to 20 minutes to let the chocolate cool down properly.
5. Once the white chocolate is cooled, dip truffle balls in the melted white chocolate using a fork. Then roll chocolate coated truffles in the 1/2 cup Calcheese wafers that have been set aside for use as topping. The truffle balls may also be rolled in candy sprinkles for color.
6. Freeze for at least 2 hours until the truffles harden.
(Calcheese is available in supermarkets and sari-sari stores nationwide. For more information, visit mayora.com.)