CHOCOLATE and bacon—two of probably everyone’s most favorite edibles in the world. Anything chocolate, particularly when it comes to dessert, is awesome. And bacon? Anything tastes great when you add bacon in it. It’s a surefire way to perk up a dish… or bread… or savory pastry. But chocolate and bacon together? Will it work?
Well, apparently, it does work, since the talented and hardworking chefs behind the San Miguel Pure Foods Culinary Center have come up with a delicious loaf bread called Chocolate Bacon Loaf with Sea Salt. It was one of the featured recipes in the Baked Foodie Goodies baking class held recently at the culinary center in Ugong, Pasig City, under its Business Opportunity Series (BOS). With over 20 participants in the class, San Miguel very own skilled baking technicians Rene Ruz and Ramon Victoria conducted demos on making Sweet and Savory Ensaymada, Bicol’s specialty Toasted Siopao, Pecan Muesli Chocolate Cookies, Mango Bars and Chocolate Bacon Loaf with Sea Salt.
The recipe of the surprisingly delightful Chocolate Bacon Loaf with Sea Salt…
150 grams Magnolia All Purpose Flour, sifted
3 grams Bake Best Baking Powder, sifted
3 grams baking soda, sifted
3 grams iodized fine salt, sifted
200 grams cold water
35 grams cocoa powder
3 grams vanilla
112.5 grams Magnolia Gold Butter
1/4 kg. sugar
100 grams Magnolia Brown Eggs
150 grams Purefoods Classic Honeycured Bacon, chopped then fried
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F. Line a 6×8-inch loaf pan with baking paper. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine water, cocoa powder and vanilla. Mix until smooth, and set aside in the refrigerator.
4. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed for 10 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Switch mixer to low speed, and add dry ingredients alternately with the wet cocoa mixture. Mix until smooth. Add three-fourths of the bacon and stir.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and top with remaining bacon. Sprinkle with a little sea salt.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Makes 6 servings.