WHEN Bosch recently unveiled its all-new Bosch Series 8 Ovens during the World Food Expo 2015 (WOFEX 2015) held at the SMX Convention Center, it featured three chefs in a baking demo that highlighted the versatility of the new smart oven. One of the three featured chefs was Chef Jill Sandique, who is undeniably one of the best pastry chefs in the country today, and in her demo, she showcased a number of exciting dishes, including Cheese Scones.
Like regular scones, Chef Jill’s savory Cheese Scones can be eaten alone, although they’re best enjoyed with clotted cream and jam, which was what Chef Jill did after her demo—sample out what she made, with all the works.
She used a Bosch Series 8 Oven in baking her scones, and it turned out evenly cooked batches of Cheese Scones whose freshly baked aroma wafted in the air and made everyone hungry. Chef Jill also utilized other Bosch appliances, such as the Bosch Food Processor, in preparing the scones.
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of nutmeg
ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano Cheese
1/2 cup grated strong Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup heavy cream, or as needed
milk or egg wash for glazing
paprika for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat Bosch Oven to 200˚C. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a Bosch Food Processor, combine all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and black pepper. Pulse for a few seconds, then add the cheeses and the butter.
3. In a small bowl, beat together eggs and heavy cream. Blend well. Toss into the flour-cheese mixture.
4. Knead lightly, then form into a disk, about one-inch thick. Using a floured round cutter, cut into two-inch rounds.
5. Arrange unbaked scones on prepared pan. Brush top with milk or egg wash, then sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until done.
7. Remove from pan. Serve immediately at room temperature.
*Chef’s note: These scones are best served with smoked salmon, crème fraiche or sour cream, cream cheese, chopped eggs and caviar. Garnish with chopped chives or dill.