AFTER almost a year of not doing media event coverages as I personally took care of my husband Raff, who suffered a stroke middle of last year and is now recovering nicely, I attended the cooking demonstration organized by Carl Schmidt Sohn at True Value Shangri-La Plaza last May (2017).
Conducted by Chef Jam Melchor of Healthy Eats Manila, the cooking demo was the first in Carl Schmidt Sohn’s Solingia series of cooking demonstrations that made the rounds of True Value and True Home branches in Metro Manila. Chef Jam used products of Carl Schmidt Sohn, a line of premium German knives and kitchenware, in preparing three dishes—Free Range Chicken and Apple Salad, Puttanesca Pasta al Cartoccio, and Citrus Soy Marinated Steak. All three recipes I recently featured in my Weekend Chef online column in TV5’s www.interaksyon.com/lifestyle. But I would also like to share this pasta recipe with you because I find it light, healthy and delicious in its simplicity. It is also vegetarian or, shall I say vegan, so everyone can have a fill of it.
PUTTANESCA PASTA AL CARTOCCIO
2 Tbsps. olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp. chopped black olives
1/2 tsp. capers
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup tomato sauce
tomatoes, chopped and peeled
pasta noodles, cooked according to package direction
fresh basil leaves for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a Carl Schimdt Sohn casserole. Add garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
2. Add chopped black olives and capers.
3. Pour in wine and allow alcohol to cook and evaporate for an added dimension of flavor.
4. Add tomato sauce and some chopped and peeled tomatoes. Cook until sauce is thick.
5. Add cooked pasta and toss until fully coated with sauce.