THOUGHT thick, tomato-based sauces are only great for pasta?
They are delicious on rice, as well. And the best thing about it is that they are healthy and easy-to-prepare. Just follow a few simple steps and you’ve got a one-dish meal that’s sure to satisfy even the most discriminating palate.
Here’s one such recipe from Doña Elena, a line of premium Mediterranean food products that includes Black and Green Olives, Capers, Olive Oil, Flat Fillets in Anchovies, Spanish Sardines and Canned Tomatoes. These are exclusively distributed in the Philippines by Fly Ace Corporation and are available in all leading supermarkets nationwide.
This recipe of Fusilli with Anchovy Caper Sauce, courtesy of of Doña Elena will come in handy during these ‘ber’ months, when things get busier and preparing elaborate dishes get more difficult.
1 Tbsp. Doña Elena Pure Olive Oil
1/2 stick butter
1/2 pc. white onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon
8 fillets Doña Elena Anchovies, mashed
2 Tbsps. Doña Elena Capers, drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 pc. lemon, juiced
1 pack Doña Elena Al Dente Fusilli pasta, cooked
pasta water (from boiling the pasta)
Doña Elena Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
1. Heat pan to medium low. Add a drizzle of Doña Elena Pure Olive Oil and butter.
2. When butter melts, add onion, garlic half of the chopped parsley, tarragon and mashed anchovies. Cover and cook until onion becomes soft.
3. Add capers, cherry tomatoes, pepper and salt. Continue cooking, uncovered.
4. When the sauce begins to thicken, squeeze a little lemon juice on it, and add a ladle of starchy pasta water (*the water where the pasta has been cooked) from the pot, and stir it in.
5. Stir in the cooked fusilli pasta. Drizzle with Doña Elena Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley, then toss until well combined.