WHEN the weather is gloomy and the rain is pounding outside, nothing beats a bowl of hot, comforting soup—more so if it is loaded with chicken and sotanghon (vermicelli) to keep the tummy warm, full and satisfied.
Well, this recipe of Chicken Sotanghon Soup from Good Life will come in handy on a rainy afternoon. The Good Life product line, which includes different kinds of noodles made with premium ingredients, is exclusively distributed in the Philippines by Fly Ace Corporation. This recipe, which is one of many easy-to-follow recipes developed by the chefs of Good Life, makes use of Good Life premium vermicelli, which is better known as sotanghon.
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 pc. red onion, chopped
4-5 cups shrimp stock
4-5 cups chicken stock
1 cup rehydrated wood ear fungus, sliced
1-1/2 cups flaked chicken meat
250 grams Good Life Premium Vermicelli
250 grams medium-sized shrimps, shelled
1 Tbsp. powdered achuete powder
1 pc. carrot, thinly sliced
white ground pepper
fried toasted garlic
1. Put a little oil in a pot, and sauté garlic and onions.
2. Pour in 4 cups shrimp stock and 4 cups chicken stock, and add wood ear fungus.
3. Add chicken and vermicelli, and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Add shrimps and cook for another 3 minutes. Add additional stock if needed.
5. Get 1/2 cup soup from the pot and put in a cup, add achuete powder and stir until dissolved.
6. Add achuete mixture and carrots to the soup, season with fish sauce and white ground pepper, then top with toasted garlic.