FRUIT cocktail is an important ingredient in Filipino homes during Christmastime. This is because Fruit Salad, whose primary ingredient is canned fruit cocktail, forms part of the Filipino Noche Buena and Media Noche tradition. After families feast on Lechon, Roast Chicken, Barbecue, Morcon, Chicken Galantina and Spaghetti at the stroke of midnight on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve, they cleanse their palate with Fruit Salad, Buko Pandan Salad and Leche Flan.
But there’s more to fruit cocktail than just Fruit Salad. It can be used to make lots of other delectable dishes and desserts, such as Hot Prawn Salad and Almond Jelly and Fruit Cocktail. Jolly, a line of canned fruits and vegetables exclusively distributed by Fly Ace Corporation, has also come up with an interesting pie recipe that has fruit cocktail as main ingredient. It is called No-bake Fruit Cocktail Pie, and it is actually easy to prepare. It never fails to impress when you serve it to family and friends or give it as an edible gift made with love, thus bringing with it holiday cheers and the fondest of memories.
For the crust:
2 cups chocolate Graham crackers, crushed
1/4 cup powdered sugar
6 Tbsps. unsalted butter, softened
1. Mix together Graham crackers, powdered sugar and butter in a bowl.
2. Press mixture onto bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
3. Freeze for 10 minutes or until set.
For the filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 250-gram packs all-purpose cream
1. Using wooden spoon or spatula, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
2. Fold in all-purpose cream.
3. Spread filling over the crust.
For the topping:
1 850-gram Jolly Tropical Fruit Cocktail, drained
6 oz. Jolly Maraschino Cherries, drained
1. Spoon the drained fruit cocktail evenly over the cream cheese filling.
2. Top with Maraschino cherries.
3. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight to set.
4. Slice and serve.