THERE’S nothing like celebrating the Christmas season with native delicacies that have been closely identified with the holidays, such as Bibingka and Puto Bumbong. You can also give them a unique twist just so you’re giving your family a different fun treat. I have shared with you the recipe of one such dish, Bibingka with Pastillas, whipped up by The Maya Kitchen; now I’m sharing with you yet another recipe — of Tsokolate Puto Bumbong — and what makes it even more interesting is that it’s easy to make because you will be using ready-made Maya Champorado Chocolate Rice Porridge Mix.
Since it’s Christmas Eve tomorrow (December 24, 2014), it’s best to hit the kitchen early so you’ll have delicious Tsokolate Puto Bumbong ready for everyone to enjoy for Noche Buena.
banana leaves, as needed
1 pack Maya Champorado Chocolate Porridge Mix 113.5g
2 tbsps. uncooked rice
white, brown or muscovado sugar as needed
freshly grated coconut
1. Pass banana leaves over medium flame until wilted to make them pliable.
2. Open the pouch of champorado mix and sift to separate malagkit rice from the cocoa powder. Set aside the cocoa powder.
3. In a bowl, combine malagkit rice (from the champorado mix) with the uncooked rice, and soak in 1/4 cup water overnight. After soaking overnight, drain. Make sure to set aside the water.
4. Put the rice in a food processor with 1 to 2 tbsps. of the drained water, and pulse until rice is finely ground. Add the cocoa powder (from the champorado mix) and mix well. Shape into logs and wrap in banana leaves brushed with melted butter.
5. Steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Brush with more melted butter once cooked.
7. Serve with freshly grated coconut and sugar while still hot.
Yields 3 to 4 servings.