FRIES are fries, right?
Fries are primarily made to fit the purpose of being fries, which go very well with burgers and sandwiches, but they can stand on their own, too. Combined with other ingredients, they can also create entirely new dishes.
Nine celebrity chefs set out to prove this when they whipped up their own dishes using U.S. Frozen Potatoes, U.S. Dehydrated Potatoes and U.S. Fresh Potatoes for the United States Potato Board (USPB)’s Signature Recipe Collection in a kitchen at Enderun Colleges, McKinley Hill, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City, last April 2, 2016.
These nine celebrity chefs—Jackie Ang Po of Fleur de Lys; Aileen Anastacio of Marmalade Kitchen; Carlo Miguel of Draft Gastropub, Beso Cucina Vinoteka, Opus, Sala and Sala Bistro; Him Uy de Baron of I Am Kim; Daniel Lachica of 8 Cuts and Linguini Fini; Josh Boutwood of Restaurant Alchemy, Italianni’s, TGI Friday’s, Fish & Co., Krazy Garlik, Bulgogi Brothers, Village Tavern, Watami, Modern Shanghai, Tonkatsu by Terazawa and Buffalo Wild Wings; Kalel Chan of M Café, Chelsea Market & Café, MoMo Café and Mr. Jones; Myke ‘Tatung’ Sarthou; and Christine Paredes of Wicked by Cravings—form USPB Philippines’ new Council of Chefs.
One of the really interesting recipes presented during the event was Baked Potato Inasal Casserole, prepared by Chef Tatung Sarthou, who is one of the four Filipino celebrity chefs featured in the ongoing Madrid Fusión Manila 2016 at the SMX Convention Center in the Mall of Asia Complex. His presentation is scheduled on Saturday, April 9, 2016, and serves as the finale to the International Gastronomy Congress of Madrid Fusión Manila 2016.
Here, Flavors of Life shares Chef Tatung’s U.S. Potato recipe, which made use of fresh U.S. Fingerling Potatoes.
1 kg. mixed fingerling potatoes, cut into large cubes
4 pcs. chicken leg quarter fillets or 8 pcs. chicken thigh fillets
1 cup grated mozzarella
250 grams kesong puti
For the inasal marinade:
4 Tbsps. annatto oil + 4 Tbsps. melted butter
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. ginger, minced
2 Tbsps. lemongrass, minced
1 pc. bay leaf
4 Tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
2 tbsp. cane vinegar
10 pcs. calamansi, juiced
1/2 Tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1. Parboil cubed potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Mix together inasal marinade ingredients in a bowl. Marinate the chicken fillets using half of the marinade for 30 minutes. Grill and cut into cubes.
3. Marinate parboiled potatoes with the remaining half of the marinade.
4. Preheat oven to 240 to 260˚C.
5. Arrange marinated potatoes in casserole and top with diced grilled chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the chicken and potato layers. Arrange pieces of sliced kesong puti over mozzarella.
6. Place in oven and roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese melts and gets gratinated.
7. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions. Serve hot.