CHEF Gene Gonzalez’s latest cookbook, Modern Philippine Confections: Tropical Island Flavors and Treats, shares a number of recipes of delightful Philippine confections. One of them happens to be Chocolate Malo, which guests got to sample during the recent book launch held at Café Ysabel.
1/4 cup powdered gelatin
2-1/3 cups water
2-1/3 cups sugar
2 Tbsps. chocolate flavor concentrate
cocoa powder for dusting
1. In a mixing bowl, combine powdered gelatin and one-third of the water. Set aside. This will allow the gelatin to bloom.
2. In a saucepan, mix chocolate flavor concentrate, sugar and remaining water. Bring to a boil and let the temperature of the mixture reach 220˚F.
3. Switch on electric mixer. Using paddle attachment, gently pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture until mixed thoroughly.
4. Once the sugar mixture and gelatin mixture are completely combined, change to wire whisk attachment and whisk at high speed for 10 to 15 minutes. When the mixture is fluffy, add food color, salt and chocolate flavor. Whisk until light and fluffy.
5. Dust with sifted cocoa powder.